Thriving - day 14

Wow. Two weeks already!

First - a confession. This weekend I was bad. I picked up some GF oatmeal raisin cookies from my local awesome bakery. As I got home, I realized that in my bag of 4 cookies, two of them were chocolate chip. Gah! What’s a girl to do? So I deliberated, decided I would freeze them for later. And then I cracked and enjoyed them. Ugh. They were good, but not worth the self-imposed guilt of having “cheated”. And yesterday at a family gathering I was oh-so-good at - no coffee, no fresh right off the farm chickens my Grandpa raises, no salads with cheese - I had a merenge. I don’t even like them. And I really didn’t like that one. So… at two weeks - cheating isn’t worth it.

Today, after scouting the food court at the mall and finding… well… nil, I settled for steamed white rice and vegetables drowned in some sort of oil. Not what I wanted, but I was hungry. So it got me thinking. Is it healthy to avoid all these foods if ultimately I’m left with nothing but unhealthy choices? That seems a bit counter-intuitive. And after this weekend of non-worthy cheats, I’m starting to ponder what happens after these next 16 days.

I used to get so mad (and still do) when something would be unknowingly cross contaminated, and I’d break out despite being so careful with what I was eating. Not necessarily because it made me sick, though that was a big part of it, but also because I didn’t even get to enjoy something I really wanted. So I’m taking that thought into what follows on this challenge. I have learned to enjoy foods, to play with flavors and new ingredients. And I also really really miss foods I was probably taking advantage of. So what will likely happen is I will continue to avoid many of the foods I am keeping off my plate for this challenge, and allowing myself to indulge in things I truly want. I will thus be keeping my body clean, healthy and thriving 90-ish% of the time, and allowing myself that 10% wiggle room to enjoy and indulge, keeping me sane.

0 comments:

Post a Comment