Thrive Day 1

Ah yes. I remember this feeling. The overwhelming sensation of “OMG, what the hell am I going to eat now” after realizing just how much of my diet was made up of a certain food. The last time this happened was nearly 3 years ago when I decided to boot gluten from my plate for good. I distinctly remember standing in the cereal aisle, hell bent and determined to find ONE cereal that I could still eat. And leaving, almost fighting back tears. This wasn’t a 30-day challenge, it was forever, and it was forcing me to give up what felt like everything I was used to eating. No cereal, oats, granola bars, bagels, and then it got worse. Turns out that stuff is in EVERYTHING. So out went sauces, spice mixes, soups, dressings, and even some cheeses (blue, I’m looking at you and your mold). And you know what I was left with after that final clean out? Well, besides a pretty empty pantry, a house full of fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, cheeses, meats, rice, new whole grains like quinoa, nuts, beans, and spices. It took a little adjusting, but before I knew it, I felt fantastic!

This Thrive diet is feeling a lot like that. I eat a decently healthy diet (save the odd M&M love affair here and there, oh and my complete addiction to sugar). Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains if I’m eating any, eggs, lean meats, dairy. Generally whole foods, no preservatives, sweetners, processing, blah blah blah. Now I pick up this book, and its back to that day in the cereal aisle. How did I consume so much dairy and not even notice?! My breakfast has milk in my coffee and cottage cheese and jam on rice crackers, lunch - usually a salad with some kind of cheese and maybe leftover meats, afternoon smoothie - cottage cheese and yogurt, and dinner - usually meat of some kind with veggies. So now… uhhhh…. no meat, no problem. No eggs, I can work with that. No soy, eh, I’ll miss my edamame, but ok. No dairy? Ohhhh no.

Now, I get the point, and I love it. I’ve actually been toying with cutting dairy out for a while. I have once before right when I cut gluten out. So, as we say in spanish, poder se puede. Maybe this was just the kick I needed - a world class professional super marathoner on a mission to make us all reconsider what lands on our plate and to make us a little healthier in the process - to tell me to cut the crap and just give it a go for a month.

I am eternally grateful for having done 40-days of yoga first. It seems actually a lot less daunting now, just 2 hours a day on the mat. This sucker is every meal, every day. A whole new level of commitment,m so its nice to know that its only 30 days. If it gets rough, this too shall pass, there will be ups and downs, and soon Lindsay will be reunited with her sushi!

0 comments:

Post a Comment