The end of another Honeymoon

Phew! And what a rough honeymoon it was. Unlike May’s challenge, where the first week was glowing, enlightening, and filled with asanawesomness, this one has been painful, messy, sleepy, and occassionally irritable. Between the full on body-aches from caffeine withdrawl, absolute exhaustion from countless stressors, and defending this challenge daily, I’m glad its over. One week down. Another three to go, and I’m not banking on any miracles here. We’re warned from the get go that purging all the toxins, withdrawls from stimulants and readjusting to some whole, clean eating isn’t necessarily a walk in the park. I’ve chosen to embrace it and to use all these aches and pains as learning tools.

If I’m this tired now (sans caffeine), despite getting plenty of sleep, what the heck was I running on before? I’m recognizing patterns. Feel sleepy: reach for coffee. Perk up: run faster, lift harder, bend deeper, go-go-go. Crash: reach for sugar. Perk up: run faster, lift harder, bend deeper, go-go-go. Crash: reach for coffee. Perk up: run faster, lift harder, bend deeper, go-go-go. Crash. Lather, rinse, repeat, each time getting successfully worse. So now, there’s no perk up - and I’m feeling it. The last few days have felt like complete crashes. My energy is crap, my joints feel like someone’s been pouring cement in them all night, my head hurts just a little, I can’t think quite right. Um. Not how I’d define a healthy body.

Just like the last challenge, I’m already seeing this challenge work its way off my plate and into life. I’ve set my mind to cutting out allergens, preservatives, and just unnecessary foods for a month. To give my body a change to recalibrate and reset. To figure out what it needs, what is useful to it, and what it doesn’t that I can get rid of or maybe just save for the odd time here and there. Off the plate, I’ve found myself taking stock of relationships and situations in my life, seeing what works, what doesn’t, what I need to walk away from - if even just for a little while - and what I need to work on (my lettuce people).

Here’s to another week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment