Yoga Honeymoon: Day 3

The day you chill out, sit by the pool with some fruity umbrella drink, and watch time roll by. Or in yoga terms, the day I got on my mat with some intentions of rocking the full primary but decided instead to roll through a gentle practice.

Time for an ugly yogi confession. Sometimes, yoga hurts. I got on the mat today with a sore right wrist - a direct consequence of lots of teaching and the way I face my class, my low back that was one false move away from blowing out completely - a cranky response to a return of back-bends to my practice, and that frustrating right hamstring pull from the last 30-day yoga challenge. I lead a pretty physical life, so it’s not often a day goes by that I’m not aching or tight somewhere. Most days, I tough it out, modify what needs to be modified, and I get on with it. But today I wanted to feel good, not be tough. Today, that meant not doing the primary series.

Instead, I did a couple moon salutations, taking extra time to get my hips open and spending less time in modified camel. I worked through some deeper hip openers, taking time in each posture to really settle in. This is one of the great things about a personal practice - it’s just you on the mat. No one telling you what to do or when to do it. It’s also tough for that same reason, as it’s a whole lot easier to skip the tough stuff and stick with the good ones. I think over time it all evens out in the wash though, especially if you continue being a student and going to classes.

On that note of taking classes - I’m giving away a couple ‘thank you’s’ to new bodies that show up to my class this month.

Namaste, and rock on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment