On Disconnecting

I’ve been mulling over this topic for a few days now, trying to think of a witty way to present it and an eloquent way to explain it. But the flu has my brain all foggy and my patience running low, so the long and short of it is this; I’m spending far too much time in front of the screen - both computer and phone. My days are wasting away into heaps of internet surfing (some productive, most not) and phone texting. While normally this would be fine, I’m starting to notice some weird negative effects from it. My attention span has gone from mediocre to absolutely awful. My thoughts are primarily in the form of short blurbs that could easily double as facebook statuses, and I am unnaturally connected to people All. The. Time.

While technology is not necessarily a bad thing - it does allow me to stay connected to my Carolina friends, Skype my family in Argentina and check the weather on Pluto - too much is not necessarily a good thing, either.

So for the next few days (or hopefully longer) I’m taking a break from the uber-connectedness I’ve slowly allowed to take over my life. For those of you keeping score, this is another one of those things I’m going to practice moderation with. So I’m not going completely offline, but I am stepping away from the screen(s) for anything above and beyond necessary connectedness.

Namaste, and rock on! Hope to see your able bodies on the mat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment