YogaHappened

Somewhere between 7:30 and 8:30 this morning I was sitting in a wicked modification of cow-face (thanks Lauren!), with my arms in a bind. My back was to the sun, and there was almost a breeze. I was staring off at the trees across the park when I was hit by this overwhelming sense of gratitude. I’m not sure what brought it on, but it hit like a ton of bricks, and I couldn’t help but smile. Here I was, sitting on my mat in the middle of a beautiful park practicing yoga on a weekday morning. I know how I got here, but what did I do to get here.

What I mean - I’m well aware I woke up at 5, got dressed and into my little car, drove the 100km drive up to Waterloo to meet up with whoever showed up this morning. But - how did I get to this point of being able to do just that on a total whim. To look at my schedule, think “yep, I can do it,” and then proceed to do just that. No planning, no discussing, no negotiating. Sound familiar? I’m thinking back to that 30-day challenge of 5am wakeups and 6am salutations.

And I am so grateful to be able to do silly things like this. To have made the sometimes tough decisions to keep my schedule in my own control. To shy- no, to walk intentionally away from a job that will put me in a box. To take the risks of inconsistent pay, frequent moves, less than awesome employers/clients/students, in stride and to make it work regardless. Now, I have had immense help and support to do this, and for that I am eternally grateful.

When I decided not to go to “Doctor school” (for now - in case Dad is reading), I made a deal with myself. I will work my tail off 11 (yes, eleven) months of the year so that I can afford one month off do with as I please. To travel, study, explore, visit, rest, you name it. Now, this may not happen right off the bat, but its a career goal. I do not want to spend my days working so that someday, down the line, I can take time off to enjoy life. I want to spend my days LOVING what I do, so that someday - when ever it just so happens - I can take off and really enjoy life as its happening. I refuse to be a slave to my job, because lets face it - life is way too short.

ahem ::steps off soapbox now:: Namaste!

0 comments:

Post a Comment