Catching Up and Starting Again

The best way I can explain the last 30 days is this:

It felt like I was cramming for an exam, last minute. I had a general idea of what it was all about - whole foods, no animal byproducts, lots of fresh fruits, veg, and nuts, healthy fats, no sugar, no grains - just their “pseudo” cousins - but I had definitely not done all my reading. I went into the exam well unprepared, with a kitchen stocked for a different diet, and not enough recipies tried, tested, and mastered to take me through. I had no experience navigating a restaurant menu with yet another set of restrictions, let alone in a foreign country not exactly known for its ready-available access to fresh produce. To top it off, it was a rough month with several big events and certainly no lack of family stress, leaving me a little distracted to say the least.

Like every exam I’ve crammed for, just before taking the test, I always get this feeling that now I am ready to start studying for it. This challenge was no different. Now that I have completed 30 days, in what is probably not the most elegant of ways, I now feel ready to do it for real. As though this last month was just a preview or trial run. What absolutely ROCKS! is that in this case, unlike every exam I have ever written, I can totally do that. I can go back now and study, learn, play, and figure out how to make it work for me. Figure out how to incorporate all these incredible habits, practices, and tips into my life. While this challenge was definitely challenging, I am truly loving the results that have come from it.

I have been trying to figure out just what my diet will look like now that the challenge is over. I cannot say for absolutel fact what it will be, but it will likely be a hybrid. Mostly vegan (and of course gluten free), with a little bit of fish, some dairy in the form of yogurt, good cheese, and chocolate. There will be coffee, but probably not as much. Eggs will likely make their way back in, but again, in much lower amounts. I am going to keep away from sugar, as it seems to be really working for me. Basically, I will be eating what feels right, while continuing to make concious decisions about everything that lands on my plate.

As for July’s challenge - I’m bringing in a little honesty in an effort to achieve a little happiness and peace. Some of it is started over here, but I may be moving it over this way, to either the main page or my blog here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment