Spoiled, gifted, or just lucky?

Promise of a breakfast shake recipe tomorrow. Its worth the wait!

Got to talking, again, about my generation and those below it and the growing sense of entitlement and materialism that's running rampant. Brought up on a steady diet of reality TV and high speed internet, the line drawn between reality and mass produced fantasy is virtually gone for a lot of these kids. They grow up with the notion that at 16, they should be gifted with the best car on the lot, have the newest cell phone hooked to their belts, and be dressed in nothing but the best. Working a part time job is what they do to get Mom and Dad off their backs, for money to spend on partying and the newest toys.

Growing up, I lived with my stepsister and stepbrother, who were subject to different rules and upbringing than my sisters and I. The disparities at home only got more noticeable as we got older. Their tuition was covered; car was bought and paid for - gas included, they got their own apartments, money for groceries, clothes, and fun. Working optional.

I worked my way through high school, putting in 50+hrs/week my last year to save up for university. I took out loans and applied for scholarships to cover my expenses and make it work. I've worked on and off through school to keep up with rising rent, tuition and book costs. I had a car that I paid for, and sold it after a year because it was too expensive.

I am thankful for this, as much as it sounds like I'm complaining. I've held jobs, been through the interviews, done the work. I understand the value of money, budgeting, saving, and planning. I've worked hard to get this far, and I'm proud of it. I feel bad for those who don't have these experiences when they get thrown into the real world of bills, crappy jobs, and even crappier wages.

Flip the coin.

My older sister struggled her whole life to get passing grades. She studied for weeks for tests and exams. Did her practice problems, read her notes, you name it. She worked hard. And got decent grades.

I did not. I did my homework, yes. But it was not hard. I read over my notes once, maybe twice before tests. I got straight A's right up until my last year of high school (a story for another day). High school was a breeze. I did my homework and that of my friends, and still had time to work out, babysit, and have a good time. I didn't even have to try.

Coming to University was my 'real world' wake-up call. I never learned to study. Never had to. So come time for midterms, assignments and exams, I was completely unprepared. I am jealous of those kids that worked hard through school to get their grades, because this is just more of the same. They already know how to do it. I am completely lost. Much like one of those spoiled kids trying to figure out why life suddenly costs so much.

Some things still come easy to me, much like some things coming easily to those spoiled kids I mentioned. But for the most part, its been a cold-water wake up call three hours before I requested it. Unpleasant. But I think maybe, just maybe, its life's way of evening things out.

--end rant--

1 comments:

I think a lot of us got to college and realized... wow. I have to study.

As for work ethic-- I think it's one of your most important and lovely qualities.

And in the end... I think learning to study and deal with school is a much easier task than learning to be pragmatic and responsible with finances.

Have you seen this? http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4126233n Kinda talks about the different work ethics in our generation... it's one of my favorite 60 minutes ever.

Post a Comment