I have the hummus!

(name that show)

Summer has officially arrived, really it has. Construction has started and everything. For those non-Canadians, up here we have two seasons: winter and construction. I was woken this morning some time before most birds crack an eyelid to the sounds of power tools and hammering making their way through my open window. Thinking it was landscaping, because at that time of morning all noise sounds the same, I rolled over and told myself there's only so much grass - they'd move on soon enough. Um, no such luck. I realized later they are redoing our roof - thanks for the notice, by the way - so they'll be here for the next two weeks. Rah.

But that's not the point. Summer is the point. Now that its here, I'm changing gears on my training focus from a more hypertrophy (growing) and strength base to a greater focus on fat loss. Why? A few reasons:
  1. BVIs in August - bikinis. Need I say more? (details to come!)
  2. My inner skinny girl has been patient enough.
  3. To uncover what has been hiding under this layer of insulation and see what how far I've gotten so far.
  4. Really 3b, to make sure I haven't been developing any imbalances or weak points
  5. To look better naked. :-)
What this means in the gym is more metabolic work, so a greater emphasis on energy taxing lifts, higher reps and more explosive movements. I'm also doing a lot more cardio (Anything is a lot more than nothing right?), taking advantage of the weather and putting some extra miles on my bike among other things. I'll post more about the specifics sometime this week - promise!

What this means in the kitchen is mostly smaller portions and lighter meals. Now, when I say lighter, I'm usually referring to less carbs not fats. I already eat a mostly clean diet (ice cream sundaes excepted) so its really a matter of dialing it back a little further and being more careful with mindless munching. One of the changes I've made this week is the inclusion of veggies as a snack. I tend to reach for fruit when I'm studying, which unfortunately usually makes me more hungry and perpetuates a nasty little cycle of snacking. By switching to the veg, I am able to fill up on tons of nutrients and I don't really feel like snacking much after.

Here's where we get to the recipe, finally. To accompany this veg plate I finally got around to trying out a hummus recipe - late to the party, I know. I got this recipe from my Aunt, so will post it as I got it, but below are some changes I'm going to make for next time.

Spicy Hummus
1 19 oz can chick peas drained and rinsed
3 tbsp each lemon juice and water
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbsp sesame oil or 2 tbsp tahini or Peanut butter. ( I usually use tahini, and have also used peanut butter - all work)
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin (needs closer to 2)
1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce or cayenne (I use pepper sauce, blends better)

In food processor puree chick-peas, lemon juice, water, garlic, tahini, cumin and hot pepper sauce. If too thick add more water slowly until soft spreadable consistency.

Makes about 2 cups. Keeps for up to a week or so in the fridge covered.

Notes: It was a little spicy for my taste, so next time I'm going to leave out the cumin and cayenne and maybe try a different spice mix instead - or leave it plain. I may also add some cottage cheese to give it a creamier/cheesy texture.

1 comments:

Yum! Love hummus. I use red pepper flakes-- just a few-- and they actually blended really well. You kinda have to stop blending, taste test, and add more... otherwise it'll get too spicy. But it was a good spicy. hot pepper sauce is always to spicy for my wimpy taste buds.

If you only knew what my snacking habits were like... you'd want to work out for the both of us...

good luck with construction season. I didn't know that about Canadian summers, but tooootally makes sense...

Post a Comment